Monday, October 4, 2010

Reflux and an irregular heart beat??

As most of you know Jaya had a history of SVT (super ventricular tachacardia) when she was born, this is where your heart rate will speed up for no apparent reason, well they monitored her for a year and then she grew out of it, they said, "if she ever has this again when she gets older she will be able to tell you that her heart is beating fast" .... Well saturday morning she was watching cartoons and came out and said, "mom, my heart is beating really fast and it hurts" of course I went into a panic, but didn't let her know that! I listened to her heart, thankfully I have a stethascope at home, and it didn't sound right. I asked her to lay down for about 15 min and then I would check her again, still the same....so I called my neighbor to come sit with Neela, who was still sleeping, and I took Jaya to urgent care. Harvest has started so Nick was on his way to DeCalb, ILL so I was calling to keep him updated as well....we got to UC and the RN listened to her, went to talk to the doc and then came back with an EKG machine.
The doc said they wanted to do a quick EKG but with her history they wanted to send us via ambulance to UW Madison....WHAT! I didn't even know what to think, so I called Nick and he said he would turn around and come home...now I was really in a panic, but the doc was still waiting to hear back from the pedi cardiologist, so they had Jaya lay down and did another EKG just to monitor...and of course it was totally normal!
So now the cardiologist calls back and said that since Jaya has a normal EKG he was okay with her not coming up there and just to keep an eye on her for the rest of the day. He was pretty sure it wasn't her heart, his logic was that she had NO heart problems through any of her surgeries so it must be an underlying issue. He thinks that it is probably her acid reflux that is irritating the heart causing an irregular rhythm, so we were able to go home and they gave us a script for some previcid.

Jaya is JUST FINE and Saturday could have totally been a fluke and I pray that it was, but I have to admit I am still very nervous that it could happen again and I wouldn't be right there with her. But I know everything is and will be just fine!!! I need to stop worrying so much though, that can't be good for me!

1 comment:

Prairie Mother said...

Oh, I would be freaking out too! I hope this is a one time thing that doesn't become a problem. You always seem to handle Jaya's issues with such grace! I envy you, I don't think I could be as calm as you in those situations!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails