Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Our appt today.....

Started off just fine, Jaya had an ultrasound at 1pm, she did great and thought it was cool that she could see her kidney on the screen...and then the tech even put the color on the screen as well - it shows the blood flow and Jaya thought that was really neat too!
So then we were off to the sedation clinic for her urodynamic study - this was going to be done to verify there was no reflux of urine into her good kidney.
The plan was to sedate her since she would be getting cathed and the test would take about 30-40 minutes! So she was given an oral seditive to calm her down so they could place the IV to give her the med to put her to sleep.......but change in plans......this is where it gets VERY scary......
she stopped breathing......they had told us that labored or a break in breathing is a side effect from this med, and if you read any past posts the same thing happened when she had her MRI, but this time it lasted longer. They only gave her 1/3 of the dose, so a smaller amount and the reaction was worse.
We were in a small room, Nick, myself, 2 docs and a nurse.....they put the mask on her with the bag attached so they could basically breathe for her....a couple of minutes pass....another nurse is asked to come in and help...a couple more minutes. At this point the medication had been taken out for 3 minutes already.....they kept breathing for her, and finally after 5 min she started to breath on her own, but needed to have the oxygen put on from time to time in order to keep her O2 stats above 96%.
I have been scared about a lot of things but I think by far this was the worst, watching them gather around Jaya, each of them having a stethoscope on her in various places....Nick and I standing there holding hands so tightly, I of course was crying and Nick was calm as can be! I am so thankful he is like that - he has to stay calm for both of us, while I cry for both of us!
I am also amazed at how calm the nurses and docs were, before the second nurse was called in, they were all super calm and then when the doctor asked for the other nurse to come in, someone went to get her and I could tell she had been running to get in our room, but she walked in the door calm as could be, I know they do that so we don't panic, they all had such steady hands and had it all under control....our original nurse even got back up in the case she would need a tube put in or anything like that!
Needless to say she did NOT get her test done - we were told that if she needs anything done from now on she will have to go completely under with general anesthesia.....she is okay now and doesn't know anything - how ever this is something that we will NEVER forget!
Hopefully we will hear back from the doctor later this week about the urine sample we were able to leave and her US....we'll keep you posted!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails